We used to get really excited to confirm an early labor sign. But I think we’ve already collected them all.
- Nesting instinct. Check! Our house has never been cleaner or better organized.
- Braxton Hicks contractions. Check! She’s actually been having them for months, but they seem to be coming in bigger and bigger clumps the last week or two.
- Dropping/lightening. Check! Esther can breathe and eat again. And walk a little faster than a snail. It’s the small things.
- Changes in cervix. Check!
- Discharge and mucus plug. Check! Actually, we thought Esther had passed the plug a couple weeks ago, but then it seems like it passed for real last night. You’re so cool you got to have two mucus plugs.
- Water breaking. Nope… not yet, but that only happens to 10% of women before the beginning of labor, so I’m not sure we’ll get to check that one off before the real deal.
- Labor contractions. Not real ones, of course. A couple false labors… contractions 5-8 minutes apart lasting for a couple hours at a time only to subside. Still waiting for the real ones that progress and get stronger and get the serious work done.
Now, the only thing of any interest to us anymore is actual labor. Well, I’m actually really enjoying the anticipation too. Yesterday was one of my favorite days in recent memory.
We walked up to Capitol Hill, had an ice cream cone, walked to Cal Anderson Park and watched tons of babies congregating with parents of different parenting styles, then had an early dinner and a movie with some friends who are due to have a baby a week after us. And then we walked all the way back, Esther stopping to pee in at least half a dozen establishments along the way.
Life is pretty awesome right now. And is only going to get better. Anyone who wants to try to bring me down with a comment about how difficult it is going to be has misunderstood our take on this… doing difficult things with Esther is one of the most fulfilling things of life.