Have a suggestion for inducing labor?

by Milton on Mon, May 10th, 2010

in Studies and rumors,Week 40

No need. Except for castor oil and Pitocin, we’ve tried it. A lot of it.

I sort of think all of these methods are about as effective as the hiccup cures.

If we keep trying random things, though, one of them is bound to “work”, right?

1 Karen Mon, May 10th, 2010 at 4:24 pm

Acupressure!
Step 1
Push on the hoku spot which can be found on the top of your hand. It is located in the webbing between your forefinger and your thumb. Massage this area at an angle to stimulate contractions. It may feel slightly tender in this area. This affects the large intestine which surrounds a portion of the uterus.
Step 2
Rub the area called spleen 6 for one minute. To find this area, place four fingers above your ankle bone on the inside of your ankle. Applying pressure to this point helps ripen the cervix and strengthen weak contractions.
Step 3
Find the bladder 32 spot by tracing one finger width above the buttocks crease. You should feel a small indentation at this point. Massage this point for one minute.
Step 4
Apply pressure to BL60 to help the baby descend toward the pelvis. You can find this spot between your ankle bone and Achilles tendon.
Step 5
Press and rub these spots in a circular motion. It should feel sore or tender but not painful. Remove pressure when you feel a contraction. Continue with the acupressure after the contraction has subsided.
Step 6
Repeat applying pressure to these spots. You can repeat up to six cycles per time. Apply less pressure if it becomes painful.
Step 7
Use these same techniques in the labor room. They can help ease your labor pains.
Good Luck, you’re almost there….

2 Heather Mon, May 10th, 2010 at 4:46 pm

Our baby was born a week past her due date in early April. I wrote this about 2 days before we went into labor and found it interesting that the EDD calculation is based on a theory that is soooo ancient: http://www.voght.org/baby/2010/04/02/in-case-you-were-wondering/.

If there’s anything you really enjoy doing on your own (and are still able to do so somewhat comfortably, my only new-mommy advice (unsolicited – I know, I’m sorry!) would be to do it now while you can. Savor every moment of the mystery! I actually miss those days just a tiny bit – but I also remember clearly how agonizing it could be waiting and wondering.

I don’t know you, but have enjoyed reading about your journey to parenthood. Can’t wait to hear about your little one!

3 Joe Mon, May 10th, 2010 at 5:33 pm

sex!

4 mariah Tue, May 11th, 2010 at 12:05 pm

Most homeopathic induction methods _ripen_, they don’t induce. If it makes you feel better, I did a lot of those things too, and when I was finally induced, it took like a finger of Pitocin, and the whole thing went very very fast. The ripening worked, it just didn’t get the motor started.

5 Milton Tue, May 11th, 2010 at 3:46 pm

Orgasms and nipple stimulation also trigger oxytocin, which is the same thing that Pitocin simulates. The silly part is that I try to control everything so much. Waiting games are just not in my nature really. But it’s gonna have to do, I guess.

6 mariah Thu, May 13th, 2010 at 9:19 am

if that’s what you want to control, then go with god. :)

i was lucky, my mother delivered me two weeks late, so my actual due date wasn’t even in my head as the date I’d deliver. if it hadn’t been for my (scheming, evil, dastardly, idiot) OB, i would have put my internal D-day at D-day + two weeks. i’m pretty impatient myself, but after a lifetime of being that way, i’ve trained myself to just assume that everything will happen after i think it will.

7 Kristy Tue, May 11th, 2010 at 4:25 pm

I wouldn’t wish Pitocin on anyone though, so much better to just relax and enjoy the silence for a little while longer :)

8 rebecca Tue, May 11th, 2010 at 4:56 pm

insert 2 evening primrose gel caps into your vagina in the morning and in the evening. It is supposed to soften your cervix. I only had to do it for 3 days. I delivered at 40 weeks 4 days.