Housing Challenges

by Esther on Sun, Feb 7th, 2010

in Challenges,Home,Money,Pregnancy by week,Week 27

I read in a book yesterday that putting together a nursery is an important part of early bonding with your baby.  According to this book, objects and art around the baby will be a part of the baby’s first stimulation.  What we choose to expose our child to will become the building blocks of who our child is to become.  This will be the first way for us to give some culture to our child.  It will be the first teaching of our family’s aesthetic style.

Well then.  If this is the case, I venture to guess that our child will have a strong foundation in urban minimalism.  Our house has been on the market (with a small break around the the winter holidays) for the better part of 4 months.  We will give it another 3 weeks before pulling if off of the market in favor of getting ready for some baby arrival.

I love our little condo!  It was first Milton’s perfect bachelor pad.  Then we redecorated and made it our perfect love nest.  It has a great view of the city, a private roof deck, and is just blocks away from anything you could possibly want in Seattle.  It is my most very favorite place that I have ever lived in.  As a wife and cook, I work this small place like it is a machine and actually love that everything is so close together.  I don’t even think I would ever want a big huge house.  It just seems like too much work, and I feel like my husband and I would be too far away from one another if we had more than a few good rooms.

The thing is, our place is a loft.  It doesn’t have any separate rooms unless you count the bathroom.  It’s just one big happy box.  I don’t think that most couples could get along in a living situation like this one, but Milton and I are very very happy.  We know when to be quiet and we know when to have a discussion from the lofted bedroom to the living room below.  I don’t think we’ve ever had a difficult moment between us that is spatially related.  Adding a baby, however, could potentially cause a problem.  The slippery stairs don’t have a railing.  There aren’t any doors to close to block Junior from devastation.  There are nerdy wires falling from several computered surfaces.  It’s kind of an adults only sort of place.

Or so we’ve thought.  If this place doesn’t sell, we’re going to begin an endeavor in March that will redecorate this place once more to make room for this baby.  Some shelves.  An old-fashioned pram for use as a bassinet.  A few less computers.  An open space for lounging about on the floor.  A new easy to clean rug underfoot.  The key has got to come from a few creative solutions for urban baby nesting.  We can handle that as long as we can scrape together a few bucks.

The more I think about it, the more I think we’ll be just fine with our urban minimalist baby.  We don’t ever plan on living outside of a city (‘burbs scare me, I gotta be honest), so our son can just get used to slippery stairs, the sounds of cars outside, cavorting on the streets, and our voices shouting from the loft to the living room.

1 Joshua Daniel Franklin Sun, Feb 7th, 2010 at 5:54 am

The picture of your place is beautiful. You may be interested in this similar post from two days ago http://carfreewithkids.blogspot.com/2010/02/embracing-our-tiny-house.html

2 Esther Sun, Feb 7th, 2010 at 6:15 am

Thanks! I’m sure we can figure out a way to work it out. It’s not the square footage that’s a problem so much as it’s the lack of division of space. We had really hoped to use the Montessori Sleep Method to get out of the whole crib thing… but might have to build a tent in the living room to toss the crib into. We’ll see!

That’s a great blog you’ve linked to!

3 cat Mon, Feb 8th, 2010 at 6:28 am

good luck! we’re hoping to fit in our 1 bdrm 500 sqft apartment until the baby is almost 2, so i’m going to keep an eye on whatever solutions you come up with. although we do have the benefit of one more door than you (the one to the bedroom), the space is such that the kid will almost certainly have to live in our room the whole time.

4 misha Tue, Feb 9th, 2010 at 4:16 am

I think it is very important for parents to create a special baby space. For me, sleep has been one of my biggest focuses: for myself and for munchkin face. He is awesome and sleeps through the night and lets us sleep through the night unless something is wrong of course and he gets sick. Personally I find sleep to be of the top three issues and for this reason, I think Baby B should have a place he calls his bed for the sake of being an independent boy who knows how to lull himself to sleep all by himself as he grows up and for the sake of your sanity and rest and recovery and adjustment to parenthood and for your sex life. :)
So, I don’t know how you’ll do it, but I think it is something worth considering very seriously.

5 Esther Tue, Feb 9th, 2010 at 6:51 am

The baby will definitely have his own space… but that space will probably not have a door or walls. Thanks to the real estate market, there’s nothing more I can do about that.

6 misha Wed, Feb 10th, 2010 at 1:11 am

At Ikea they sell these things that you can attach from the ceiling (like curtains) and sort of divide a room like that. It might be worth considering. :)

7 Aimee Thu, Feb 11th, 2010 at 4:40 am

I’m all about minimalism and with your creative minds, I know you will come up with something. My mom & I have always loved organizing small spaces and its why I love my 507sq studio over any other place I have ever lived before. If I think or see anything thats related to your baby space planning, I’ll let you know. This is one of my favorite small space related sites: http://www.apartmenttherapy.com